Sunday, October 11, 2009

House Projects

I have wanted a new table for a long time. I love the bar stool, square ones. I really want a black one, since our hutch is black. Well, a new table is nowhere in the near future, so I did the next best thing. $12 bucks at Wal-mart got me 4 cans of black spray paint, which ended up being almost enough. Luckily we had a can of black spray-on chalkboard, so I used that to finish up the leg of the table.

Kaleb loved helping and did a great job.

We got our table quite a few years ago from a yard sale somewhere by Shaunalei's house in Salt Lake for $10. This thing is solid wood, and very heavy! After trying several times to get it outside by myself, Kaleb looked at me and said, "Mom, we need a big guy." I started laughing and instantly agreed. I finally gave up and put lots of newspaper down and sprayed it in the kitchen when the girls got home from school. Becky and Emily took turns holding a newspaper to the side of where I was spraying to help keep the paint off of the floor and counters. They did a great job. Unfortunately spray paint puts off a lot of dust, so we ended up with a thick layer of it on the floor. I think I know how the people living in the Seam feel now from the book The Hunger Games. It cleaned up pretty good though.

I loved how it all turned out! We were all so excited about it, we tried to eat dinner on it that night. The bummer for us is that it wasn't totally dried, so we ended up with some peeling. Also, since I was not patient enough to sand it all, we got more peeling. My friend stopped by the next day and recommended lacquer. I took the table and chairs back outside yesterday. Luckily I had a big guy around to help with the table, so it actually made it outside too; touched up the paint, and sprayed it all down with lacquer. It is done, and I am happy. Who needs a new table when you can make your old one new, right?

Also yesterday I finally bought some curtain rods for the front room. Blake did a great job with installation, and I like how they turned out.


Since we took down the old white ones from the front room, I decided to put them in the kitchen and hang up some curtains I got a long time ago at an estate sale. Luckily there were already holes for the rods above the windows, so I was able to get them up pretty easily.

They're kind of hard to see since they're white, but Emily's helping to show them off. It's fun to be making our house a home, especially when we can do it so cheaply.

3 comments:

Di said...

NICE!!! I LOVE the table and chairs! (and trust me, it'll be easier to find extra chair for guest than it is with the bar height ones...) I wish I could find a quick fix like that for our table but I think that's a lost cause.... :D

What it's like to have Addison's Disease said...

Looks great!

Ah, patience, Iago, Patience. ;)

I'm glad you had such a great conference weekend.

Becky Rosenlof said...

Gorgeous! The black looks so chic! I can't wait to see it in person.